Friday, September 22, 2006

Dirty Sugar Cookies by Ayun Halliday


I still haven't decided if I'm going to Ayun Halliday's reading at Powell's Books. I usually wait for the author reading before picking up a book I'm thinking of reading, but I grabbed a copy early and finished it in a few days. While it's lacking the intimacy of her zine, The East Village Inky, I liked the book very much. It's more about her life growing up and her years attending college than current tales of raising kids in New York City.

While my favorite parts are certainly the few chapters about life in New York, I also enjoyed her tales of college life -- getting her first apartment, cooking for a series of boyfriends, and hanging out in greasy spoon diners.

While I'm not usually a big fan of vegetarian conversion stories, her's was very enjoyable. I particularly liked the honest intimacy of falling off the wagon during her travels and big family meals. I don't recall exactly how long she remained a vegetarian for, but her intimate relationship to food is typical of vegetarians and oozes throughout every chapter.

No comments: